Monday, October 1, 2012

Here We Go!

I never thought in a million years that I would be happy to get the phone call that the chemotherapy we had chosen, Doxil, was finally approved through the pharmaceutical company. Janssen had placed Lauren on a "waiting list" over three weeks ago and given the date of October 9th for tentative approval status. We knew going into this that Doxil was in short supply. Why, I will never understand. I tried calling Janssen last week to find out why there was a shortage and why a pediatric patient didn't get priority, but alas, since I am not a doctor or doctor's office, they wouldn't speak to me.

I called the clinic today to check in and see if they had heard anything from the insurance company. I was a little peeved because the nurse said "I'll call and check on it" which, at 11am, she should have already done it. Anyway, a few hours later I got a call from one of Lauren's Oncologists to have a final discussion on his feelings about using this combo (it is outside the "standard of care" box so I completely understand his hesitation) and what side effects we are up against. I assured him that we all understand the leap of faith we are taking and I am still 100% sure that we need to be as aggressive as possible while we can.

Since it has been a little over two months since Lauren's last scan, I asked for another one to create a baseline. I am secretly hoping that the damn mini-tumor is gone. With as little radiation as possible (no contrast either), she will be getting a chest CT tomorrow at 10am. It will be quick and painless and we should have results same day or at the very least, Wednesday. As of now, she is set to start chemo on Thursday. It will be a one hour infusion every two weeks plus the oral chemo, to be taken at home every other day (with the caveat that if she tolerates it, we can increase it and if it's horrible, then we can decrease).

I started Lauren on her alternative protocol last week, boosting her immune system and filling her full of herbal supplements that will synergize well with the chemotherapy and also help to prevent the more common side effects - mucositis & hand/foot syndrome. She also started Trental, which will help protect her heart and also help to reduce the severity of the mucositis (I am hoping that she does not have a serious case because she just had braces put back on and mucositis (mouth sores) and braces won't make a good match). We already make really good nutritional choices, but have to "batten down the hatches" for treatment time. It's essential that she eats healthier than ever during this time.

So, here we go. Fourth line. I'm scared. We need this to work. They (doctors) really have nothing else of interest to suggest so this HAS to work. Please keep Lauren and our family in your thoughts and prayers as she starts the new chemo on Thursday. And to all my friends and family who supported my efforts in September, through Facebook, to raise awareness for Childhood Cancer, thank you so much.

I leave you with a promotional video that our family participated in for NNCCF. If you haven't already seen it (I posted it on FB yesterday), then get your tissues. It is amazing and profound; a story of four families affected by this horrible disease. And please consider sharing it. NNCCF has been a LIFESAVER to say the least for our family and the other CC families in Northern Nevada. We love them like family. <3




peace and <3 -cherri

1 comment:

  1. Always loving on you guys in my heart. I have already planned a fast for the week Lauren has her Chemotherapy. I feel it is the least I can do from this far away. I will be sending so much energy you guys' way. I hope that it helps. Love you guys so much!! Be Blessed.

    ReplyDelete